Half cup of olive oil
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced green pepper
1.25 lbs eggplant, cut into half inch cubes
1 Tb honey
1 Tb balsamic vinegar
Half tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 cup water
1 tsp kosher salt
2 Tb tomato paste
2 Tb fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large saute pan, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and green pepper
and saute for 8-10 minutes, just until the vegetables begin to caramelize.
- Add the eggplant to the pan and cook for 10-12 minutes, until it softens and takes on a nice brown color.
If the vegetable mix looks dry, drizzle in a little more olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the honey, vinegar, red pepper flakes, tomatoes, water, salt,
and tomato paste.
- Add the tomato mixture to the pan with the eggplant, stir to combine, and turn the cooking temperature
down to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender (not mushy) and liquid
reduces and thickens to a glaze.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley. Serve warm or at room temperature. Dish can be
made up to 1 day in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
Serves 6-8 people, as a side dish or 4 people as a vegetarian/vegan entree.